Pages

~Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Kosher Lobster

I grew up by the sea. Summers were spent in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, part of the outer banks. There we would eat shrimp by the platter. Over the years we added all of the islands of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. I learned to love scallops in Frogmore, South Carolina. Oysters in Jekyll Island, Georgia. Florida was too touristy for my family; for our vacations we traveled North. Myrtle Beach. Fripp Island. Oak Island.

I remember my mother steaming crabs in our kitchen, screaming when one didn't make it into the pot. Seafood was a way of life for us. It was a right. The pursuit of happiness and king crab legs.

So what did I do? I fell in love with a New York Jew who keeps kosher style. Bottom feeders are not allowed. For seafood to be kosher, it must have both fins and scales. No crustaceans. No shrimp. No catfish. It's treif, he said.

It's delicious, I said.

In the beginning, he would go to seafood restaurants with me, begrudgingly ordering chicken fingers off the children's menu. I ordered the lobster stuffed with scallops and shrimp. Nothing about it was kosher style. He stared at me while I writhed with glee in my chair, picking at the shell and sucking my fingertips.

I loved lobster and I loved Abraham.

As we became serious, we had the talk. We were in the bathtub of all places, my urban ocean.

"I love you and I'm not willing to lose you over religion," I told him. "If being Jewish is what makes you who you are, what makes you good and kind and loving, then that is a religion I want to know."

Abraham squeezed my knee in response, never speaking a word.

"On one condition," I added thoughtfully. "I don't have to give up seafood."

Abraham nodded, accepting my terms.

And with that we became the paradox that is Kosher Lobster.

16 comments:

  1. HUZZAH!!! Congrats and Mazel Tov and stuff or whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your writing. So glad I get to continue to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love! Lobster AND Christmas trees. Want to know how the conversion process is going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to go on the rest of this journey with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost positive mahi mahi is kosher, just FYI. I've seen my very kosher in-laws eat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long time reader, etc.

    So happy for you both. It's been a long journey and I think it's wonderful that you've ended up in such a good place with such a wonderful man.

    Thank you for sharing your journey with us and continuing to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found it! :) Well, someone else found it and I just followed suit. Whatever.

    Anyway.

    You guys are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. <3<3 I love this story a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woman, so happy you are not giving up blogging completely. Would have missed you. - Fabulously

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mahi Mahi is kosher. Thanks! I'm taking it out of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've missed you and your posts.

    This is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to your new site. A change in location can revitalize you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to read more about all of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WHOOOOOOT! I am so excited to read more. I am also so happy for you. The new blog looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) So glad to be catching up!!

    ReplyDelete